Well it’s been FOREVER since I posted and I’m really sad about it!! I’m still alive!! The short story: I’m moving to a new city (more on that soon! :O), I’m at a new workspace, I’ve been taking on new projects, it’s been a total whirlwind! Sarah shared her big announcement a few weeks ago and it’s such a bittersweet thing, but we’re both so excited to continue sharing our life adventures with new perspectives (her new blog!), new inspiration and LOTS of recipes. So I’ll just jump right in. My most recent adventure/project is what I’m sharing today…my first trip to Miami (what? why had I never?) on a SUPERFUN collab with Starwood Hotels.
Before I work with a brand on an Instagram or blog campaign, I have to make sure our missions align. If they’re interested in inspiring people to live adventurously, to experience the world, to fall in love with moments and to share those moments with others, I’m in. I don’t like collaborating for one-off promotions, I like collaborating as means to build a relationship with a brand I believe in. Starwood is one of those brands. When they invited me down to Miami to experience the city, the culture, the food, their properties and their team, I jumped on it. I made fast friends with them and I will waste no more time. Here are 6 things I learned about Miami with SPG…
1. The food scene is incredible. From J&G Grill at the St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort in North Beach to KUSH and Mandolin Aegean Bistro in Wynwood, I experienced fresh, local, wonderfully diverse dishes and unique dining environments that truly inspired me. Miami is a treasure trove for foodies.
2. I fell in love with the people. There’s a colorful joy and life about them that’s truly contagious. I explored Little Havana for an afternoon, and the string of intrigue was endless. I visited Domino Park which was a scene straight out of a Pixar movie, a cigar shop with a sweet owner serving some of the best Cuban coffee I’d ever tasted, and happened upon so many individuals that were bursting with stories to tell. I was offered a welcome that made me feel at home.
3. Miami has an aesthetic that is so unique among the top destination cities in the US. I learned so much about the origins of the beach and sunset-toned buildings, the fashion and the architecture on a walking tour of the Art Deco District. It was fascinating to find out about Gianni Versaci’s impactful role in developing the city’s look and feel. I loved the retro vibe of South Beach, and knowing where it all came from made the experience even richer.
4. I had never seen anything like the Wynwood Walls before. I’ve been an admirer of graffiti art for a long time, but exploring the Wynwood neighborhood and all of its captivating installations was life changing. The buildings and streets were just covered with originals by incredible artists — and that was just a fraction of Miami’s art scene! The lobby and The Dutch at the W Hotel are beautifully curated with a collection of original Warhols and other pieces that left me enchanted.
5. I’m a beach baby. I grew up on the East Coast and spent almost all of my summers “down the shore”. The sand and the ocean are very near and dear to my heart. Needless to say, experiencing the white beaches and bright blue waters of South Beach was UNREAL and such a comfort. I LOVED it.
6. SPG encourages adventuring. They want to help you see the world and authentically experience the cultures surrounding their resorts and hotels. Earning Starpoints just from taking an Uber around town is wonderful proof of that. I saw 3 of their Miami properties, and each of them were so different that I knew no matter what the circumstance, I could find a home away from home with them. At the St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, I experienced utter relaxation. The staff displayed an incredibly rare excellence in their welcome and hospitality. At the W South Beach, I was inspired at every turn by the nostalgic and beautiful design of the space. At Aloft Miami, I was blown away by the homey feel of the rooms, the Keyless entry option, their delicious cocktails and last but not least, a Nate Ruess concert that I’ll be dreaming about for years to come! It was actual magic. SPG truly covers it all and they don’t just care about the hotel experience, but about the culture that each of their properties calls home.
So yeah! I can’t wait to go back!!
What are your favorite cities to visit and what do you love about them? Dreaming up what to see next! Please share in the comments below!
Follow more of my adventures on Instagram!!