Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes

Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes - offbeat + inspired

This is the first Christmas that my entire immediate family is in Kentucky. My mom drove out from New Jersey 2 days ago and it’s been a whirlwind of excitement since she got here. We want her to see everything. We’ve had lunch at Windy Corner, cookies at National Boulangerie, coffee at the Starbucks downtown (because Mom loves her Starbucks), had a visit to my youngest sister and her husband’s new apartment for the first time, ate dinner at Ted’s Montana Grill and saw The Hobbit. That was just yesterday.

This morning, groggy and hungry, I texted my sisters to join my mom and I in my room so we could chat and plan the day. After the inevitable silly-ness that happens when the sisters and mom are together, the much anticipated topic of breakfast came up. It was quickly decided that I would make pancakes, and pancakes I made. Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes.

This Christmas Eve morning demanded something special on the table, and it had its way. Mashed banana and melty chocolate chips coming together in a fluffy, lightly sweet cake with a hint of cinnamon — it was a beautiful thing. The house smelled amazing. Having everyone here laughing, telling stories, eating, being the goofs that we are — it’s what I dream that every family holiday will be like.

If you don’t have your Christmas Morning breakfast already planned, make these. They’re the perfect treat before digging into a pile of gifts.

I hope you have a merry Christmas and enjoy your time together! Laugh a lot, be silly, tell someone you love them and don’t forget to make an inappropriate joke at the dinner table.

The recipe is at the bottom of the post!

Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
Yields 12 large pancakes (263 calories each)

3 cups flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 tsp. baking powder
2.5 cups 2% milk
3 medium bananas, mashed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli)
a handful of chocolate chips for sprinkling (optional – not included in calorie count)
coconut oil or butter for greasing your griddle/pan

Sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder in a large bowl

Whisk together milk, mashed banana, eggs and vanilla bean paste in a medium bowl

Stir the wet mixture into the dry until just combined

Fold in the chocolate chips

Ladle the pancake batter onto a griddle (350 degrees F) lightly greased with coconut oil (or butter) with a 1/2 cup measure to make sure your pancakes are all the right size.

Flip when bubbles start to form on the surface of the cakes and the bottoms are golden brown (about 3-5 minutes on each side)

While the pancakes are still warm, you can sprinkle some chocolate chips over the top and let them soften a little before serving.

Enjoy! Have a wonderful holiday!!

Comments

1. eole says:

Hi…
    Nice Shots ♥

2. Debbie says:

Ohhh these look wonderful. I love fluffy pancakes, will have to
    give these a try :)
    Thanks for sharing!!

3. These look delicious. I could eat pancakes everyday, seriously. They’re the perfect cozy breakfast food!

Beautiful photos as well!

• Tiffany | offbeat + inspired says:

Oh my, I agree. Pancakes are just one of those all the time anytime foods. Darn those carbs though haha! I’m so glad you like the photos, thank you! :)

4. Ksenia says:

It looks so delicious. I often promise myself to cook something from your blog but everytime afraid to fail:)

• Tiffany | offbeat + inspired says:

Thank you! Ohh please do try the recipes! They’re really not easy to fail at, believe me. We’re not professionals by any stretch of the imagination! :P <3

5. Gail says:

I stumbled across this beautiful picture of pancakes while reading another blog I follow. I am from KY and loved you mentioning places I love like Windy Corner and the new boulangerie, plus Ted’s! All places we like to go when my son is home on leave from the Army! I’m a new fan now of you gals!

• Ohhh I’m so glad you found the blog! I love Lexington SO much.. always excited to feature local spots, and even MORE excited when readers can actually visit them and share the experience! I LOVE Ted’s! They make a killer White Russian haha! :P

• Gail says:

I loved going back through some of your earlier blogs and loved finding the one featuring Joseph Hillenmeyer and his wife and their Christmas business. My son worked for Joseph for a couple of summers before joining the Army and he learned so much from him….wonderful person and business man. Thank you for sharing your photos and experiences of the beautiful Bluegrass!

6. Em says:

I clicked on comments to post almost exactly the same sentiments as Gail (above). I’m new to Lexington, and I’m so thankful for your blog because you’re giving me tips on places to check out as I build my community here. I trust your opinion because I can tell via the blog that I like your style. I’ll definitely be checking out Windy Corner Market and the boulangerie. (I’m gluten free, but if I weren’t, I’d be all over those pancakes, too…) Thanks for inspiring me to explore what’s great about Lexington.

7. Hayley says:

Hi beauty, I love your blog! Especially when it comes to a recipe with lots of great photos. May I know what camera do you use? I guess you’re using vsco cam for edit,right?

Trackbacks