Let’s Talk Denim…

Jeans can be a sore subject for some of us. I come from a tall family and between my two sisters and I, there’s been plenty of griping over bottoms in general being too short, too tight in the hips, too big in the legs and basically unflattering on our pear-shaped selves.

After years of denim-hunting and gathering, I believe I’ve identified the tall-pear-girl jeans problem. Low rise. Not all low rise jeans are bad, but in my experience, most just don’t work in our favor. If it fits in the hips, my legs are swimming, and if it fits in the legs, I can fit another person down the back of my pants. Not fun. Even low rise styles intended for hippy girls that do fit well in the hips and legs still don’t flatter the pear shape. They accentuate hip width, leaving the silhouette bottom-heavy with few redeeming options to balance the look up top.

Oh hey, high waisted jeans! Lovely to meet you!

As with all timeless high rise styles, one of the major benefits they offer is accentuating…you guessed it, the waist. When the band of your jeans sits above the hips, it draws the eye upward, which pronounces a feminine silhouette and complements both the hips and the waist while lengthening the legs. Hello, gorgeous!

Let's Talk Denim... - offbeat + inpired

Styling high waisted jeans is also 10x easier, as you can tuck in almost any top (or if you’re super trendy, work in the cropped styles) and be ready to go. I was having this conversation with my sister and decided to illustrate her in a side-by-side comparison to show the difference waist height can make.

I also took the discussion to my Instagram (@tifforelie),¬†asking for some recommendations on where to find the best high waisted jeans. Here’s what I got back:

@abby_tohine recommends Anthropologie and vintage boutiques.
@rockcandy85 recommends Guess.
@erineliza_ and @littlebirdlee recommend Urban Outfitters’ “BDG High Rise Skinny“¬†– available with a 34″ inseam, score!
@ohmmade recommends J-Brand’s “Maria” and Citizens of Humanity’s “Rocket Skinny Jeans“.

Thanks so much, you stylish gals!!

I also read a blog post just yesterday by the lovely Beth over at Local Milk, featuring the “Elizabeth” high waisted jeans from Imogene + Willie. They look fabulous.

Do you rock high rise jeans? What’s your favorite denim brand? I’d love to hear your thoughts on the curvy girl/jeans conundrum (with links to your favorites if you have them)!

Comments

1. daria says:

I’ve been looking for some high waist jeans for a while, and still haven’t found them! I’ve had the same realization – that they look better on my pear shape than low & mid waist. I’d also like them to have as little elastic as possible – kind of like they were in the 90s-00s.

• Tiffany | offbeat + inspired says:

I agree! I absolutely prefer sturdy denim over stretch, but they’ve become so much more difficult to find!

2. Jennifer says:

I wish more stores sold high waist jeans. My favorite jeans are from J. Crew and Madewell. J. Crew has their midrise styles, which come to just about my belly button. Not at my waist, but much higher than most! I think some of the midrise styles come in tall too.

• Tiffany | offbeat + inspired says:

Yess, high waist really needs to be more accessible. I find that a lot of the brands have them as online exclusives, but I’m not sure why they don’t make them available in store! I’d rather try them on in person than have to ship them back if they don’t fit. But I’m with you on J. Crew and Madewell. I have a pair of the Midrise Toothpicks from J. Crew and love them. They’re the highest jeans I own as of right now. Will be checking out one of the Instagram-recommended pairs soon though! I’m thinking Imogene or Citizens..

3. Jennifer says:

Oh and I forgot about the Gap High Rise Skinny jeans. http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=94094&vid=1&pid=495986002 These are quite high. The size I tried were a tad too snug and all other sizes were out of stock at the time, so I returned them, but looks like they’ve restocked them now. I may need to try them again. Unfortunately, you can only get them online.

4. Alecia says:

I really have tried to rock high waisted jeans – but I end up looking so silly I can’t bring myself to wear them outside the house. My favorite denim sources are jbrand , MADEWELL or mih jeans.

• Tiffany | offbeat + inspired says:

Aww really?? I would have imagined you’d look great in them!! What don’t you like? Also, yess JBrand and Madewell are so great.

5. Dee M. says:

Lee Jeans are great, they slenderize, too! Kohl’s is where I get mine. You can get them on sale, too.

• Tiffany | offbeat + inspired says:

Thanks for the recommendation!! I have a local Kohl’s, so I’ll definitely drop in there and check those out! :)

6. Trish says:

Holy cow ladies, i am ALWAYS in fear of trying jeans on my pear shape. So pumped to hear these jeans recommendations! Thanks so much,
    Trish