Mulled for hours with spices and served hot in your favorite mug or crisp and cold from the orchard market, apple cider is (at least in my mind) the quintessential fall beverage. As soon as the leaves turn and the weather gets cold, I start toying around with new cider recipes to savor throughout the season.
Last year, I shared this hot mulled cider recipe. This year, I’m serving it up cold – and with a little kick. Cinnamon and ginger infused simple syrup add sweetness and spice to the tart cider and lemon juice base. A shot of bourbon leaves you with a warm finish – even when enjoying this chilled drink. It’s the perfect ode to the season.
How do you enjoy your apple cider – hot, cold or with a kick?
Bourbon Cider Cocktail with Cinnamon + Ginger
Makes 1 cocktail
1 1/2 ounces bourbon
2 ounces apple cider
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 ounce Cinnamon-Ginger Simple Syrup (see recipe below)
1. Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
2. Pour into a chilled glass and enjoy!
Cinnamon-Ginger Simple Syrup
1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh ginger
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1. Add water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium, add the rest of the ingredients and stir constantly until sugar has dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Syrup with thicken a bit. Once it has cooled, remove ginger pieces and cinnamon stick.
3. Use in your favorite cocktail or store in the refrigerator in a well sealed container for up to 6 months.