I’m not a morning person. Anyone who knows me knows that breakfast starts after 10am and conversations are most successful when I’ve consumed at least one cup of coffee. I’ve had spurts throughout the last few years when I’ve attempted to be a morning person, but let’s be honest – it’s just not going to happen.
While I’ve given up in my attempt to gleefully jump out of bed and excitedly start the new day, mornings are a little easier with caffeine and a quick, tasty breakfast. (And a little chocolate doesn’t hurt, either.)
Coffee Granola with Chocolate, Honey + Sea Salt combines nutritious ingredients and, well, a few decadent ones. Rolled oats, walnuts and chia seeds provide a healthful start to the day while the coffee and chocolate make mornings a little easier to tackle.
This recipe uses a coffee concentrate brewed from FreshGround Roasting beans using a Toddy Cold Brewer – a super simple and convenient cold-brew process. You can always make the concentrate at home using your own equipment and a similar process, but the Toddy is definitely the easiest way to make the most full-flavored coffee concentrate. And of course, better coffee makes for better mornings – at least in my opinion.
Are you an early riser or a night owl? What’s your go-to breakfast to help you start the day?
Coffee Granola with Chocolate, Honey + Sea Salt
Adapted from My Kitchen Affair
Yields about 4 ½ cups
3 cups rolled oats
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ cup coffee concentrate* or triple strength coffee (I recommend FreshGround Roasting’s Market Blend)
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
Pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, add all ingredients except salt and mix well.
3. Pour mixture onto the baking sheet in a thin layer.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes until granola is crispy, stirring 2-3 times throughout the baking process.
5. Remove from oven and top with sea salt to taste.
6. Let the granola cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and store until you’re ready to serve.
7. Serve with milk or Greek yogurt and top with additional honey.
*For a coffee concentrate recipe, click here.