We’re all about the giveaways this month! I’m so excited to dive into this particular one because, as you all know, we at offbeat + inspired hold DIY skincare very near and dear to our hearts. We’ve been making/sharing soap recipes since we launched the blog a year ago, and hopefully we’ve encouraged some of you to adopt our strange soaping habits. If you’re not quite there yet because you’re skeptical, overwhelmed by the idea, or just plain scared of your house exploding amidst a massive volcano of lye…this giveaway is for you.
Let me introduce Wholesale Supplies Plus. They’re a one-stop shop for all things DIY cosmetics and soap making. They’ve got the oils, scents, butters, natural colorants, additives…you name it. If you’re a from-scratch kinda skincare DIYer, they’ve got you covered. If you’re not quite ready for from-scratch, but you still want to know exactly what’s going into your products and don’t want to go the “pre-made base” route, there’s a kit for that. Many kits, actually. We’ll be giving away the delightful one pictured in this post today! Read on.
The lovely folks over at WSP sent me one of their kits to try out. I chose the “Beach Butter Balm” because the dry, cold months are right around the corner, and a rich coconut-y moisturizer is the perfect way to transition from my second favorite season into my first. Using a homemade soap instead of the store-bought caustic bars of terror is one surefire way to keep cracked and chapped skin at bay, but you can take it even further by deep conditioning your skin overnight all winter long with your own homemade body butter. And this one is really, truly wonderful. Delicious scent aside, it is intensely moisturizing, so you won’t want to use it on the palms of your hands, but the rest of your dry parts will thank you profusely.
My supplies arrived in perfect condition, organized and labeled with a recipe sheet and detailed instructions for how to make the butter.
Here’s the list of supplies included in this kit:
- Gloves Vinyl (Medium) – Low Powder
- Instruction Sheet
- 2 fl. oz. Exotic Coconut Fragrance Oil 421
- 1/2 oz. Vitamin E Natural
- 1 lb. Monoi Butter Blend
- 1 lb. Cocoa Butter – Natural
- 1 lb. Shea Butter – Natural
- 1 lb. Sweet Almond Oil – Refined
- 2 oz. Argan Oil
- 16 pieces / 70/400 White Straight Top Cap – F217 Liner
- 2 pieces / Droppers – Plastic
- 16 pieces / 4 oz. Clear Heavy Wall Plastic Jar – 70/400
- 16 oz. Aloe Vera Gel
Here’s the information included on the Recipe Detail Sheet:
Beach Butter Balm
Project Level: Easy
Estimated Time: 1/2 Hour
Yields: 8-10 oz. (which fills 2-3 jars!)
This butter is sure to make your skin feel buttery smooth. Perfect after a day at the beach or to re-moisturize dry skin any time of the year.
- 2 oz. Cocoa Butter – Natural
- 2 oz. Shea Butter – Natural
- 2 oz. Monoi Butter
- 1 tsp. Argan Oil
- 3 tsp. Sweet Almond Oil
- 3 tsp. Aloe Vera Gel
- 1/4 tsp. Vitamin E Natural
- 9.5 ml(s) Exotic Coconut Fragrance Oil
- Hand Mixer
- Measuring Spoons
- Metal or Glass Pot
- Mixing Spoon
- Stove or Double Boiler
1. NOTE: if you are making these products for sale, good manufacturing practices recommend you wear a hairnet, gloves and a mask. We also recommend a clean apron.
2. Place all butters in a pan over very low heat.
3. Melt until all liquid.
4. Simmer on low for 20 minutes (DO NOT BOIL).
5. Add remaining ingredients and stir into liquid.
6. Cover bowl and let product set overnight.
7. Stir to whip or use hand mixer to whip it up until fluffy.
8. Package into jars and label accordingly.
9. Makes approximately 8-10 oz. of product depending on how much it is whipped.
It really was that easy. Less than half an hour of melting and mixing, overnight on the countertop and that was it. Such a perfect introduction for any beginner looking to try their hand at DIY skincare products.
Here are a few tips for maximizing the results of your body butter:
- Wear long sleeves and pants to bed. Once you butter up your arms and legs, your clothing will keep the moisture in all night so that your skin can absorb as much as possible.
- If you suffer from exceptionally dry hands and feet, try wearing socks and gloves to bed for the same reason. Your skin will soak up more moisture if it’s warm and covered.
- These little jars make great party favors or gifts. With birthdays and holidays coming up, start playing around with some fun label ideas and plan on surprising friends and family with a jar or two.
- To keep things sanitary, consider purchasing a few plastic cosmetic spatulas for applying the butter. You can clean them after each use and guarantee that your jars stay germ-free.
Ok, giveaway time! Wholesale Supplies Plus will be sending the Beach Butter Balm Kit to one lucky winner! The giveaway is open to US residents only and you must be 18 or older to participate. Enter using the Rafflecopter widget below!